[Wolves] Booting to command line in Fedora

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 13:52:16 BST 2004

--- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> Cheers for that, you learn something every day, just
> one small query if, as
> Wayne said in his first mail, he cant boot the thing
> even from text mode, how
> is he going to get a terminal?
>
> Just asking :-)

Can you do the run-level boot option thing? I can't
remember whether this is grub or lilo specific or
common to both, I suspect the feature is available in
both but maybe the syntax is different.

Pass a run-level boot option to your boot manager.
Something along the lines of:

linux 3

would boot your kernel and take you to run level 3, ie
before X got started (at run level 5 ) I think in RH.
Ask someone else for a suitable run level, like James.
I think 3 is when most services have been started and
partitions have been mounted but no X, X gets started
at 5 I think.

I don't know how you request the ability to pass
options to grub interactively or the exact syntax, it
might have an equals like other parameters such as
specifying your ram,

linux mem=128

Something like that anyway. Maybe google for it or
wait to see if anyone else knows. I could of course be
hideously wrong...

Ad

=====
--