[Wolves] MySQL and PHP books

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Wed Jun 30 13:41:21 BST 2004

Adam Sweet wrote:
> Hi guys, this might the first in a series of things
> I've been either thinking about or battling with for
> some time.
>
> Can anyone recommend some good books on PHP and MySQL?
> I have an assignment that will require these skills
> and don't know where to start.

O'Reilly have a PHP book, can't remember it's name, but it's ok.

> I'm also looking at an open source Virtual Learning
> Environment called Moodle for work, which is built
> using LAMP, as the blood begins to boil regarding the
> proprietary VLE they shelled out silly money for and
> has serious functionality brain damage.

I've heard some really good things about Moodle, in comparison to some
serious moaning about some of the main commercial products.
Unfortunately i think it will be quite hard for an institution to
migrate from one to another, although there are theoretically large cost
savings.

I believe there's a Uni in the West Mids somewhere using Moodle.

David.