[Wolves] MySQL and PHP books

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 14:36:26 BST 2004

--- David Goodwin <david at openminds.co.uk> wrote:

> O'Reilly have a PHP book, can't remember it's name,
> but it's ok.

Cool, everyone seems to recommend this one. Does it
cover MySQL in enough detail, or can people recommend
a MySQL book too?

> I've heard some really good things about Moodle, in
> comparison to some
> serious moaning about some of the main commercial
> products.
> Unfortunately i think it will be quite hard for an
> institution to
> migrate from one to another, although there are
> theoretically large cost
> savings.

Well we're only piloting at the moment and the
problems with the existing product are so numerous and
fundamental that the college is thinking of scrapping
it's investment and moving over depending on the
outcome of my little tester and subsequent larger
scale testing.

The current VLE is so wretched and bug ridden that
even a year or so on, we have very little material on
it as it keeps dropping out and users accounts keep
disappearing. We won't be migrating, we'll be dumping
and starting from scratch.

It wasn't always like this but the latest version
installed in January is so bad it's unusable and so
unbearably slow with one user on a high spec server
that people think it's hung.

> I believe there's a Uni in the West Mids somewhere
> using Moodle.

Yes, it's UCE. I belive Goldsmiths College, University
of London are also using it.

Thanks everyone,

Ad

=====