[Wolves] WebDAV

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 16:57:57 GMT 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 15:10, Aquarius wrote:
> > For each box:
> > Set the workgroup name in smb.conf to whatever the name of your
> > workgroup is and set the netbios name to whatever you want to call that
> > particular box.  Set security to SHARE.
> >
> > Set up the shares up at the bottom.  Seeing as you want universal access
> > with no password protection you should set all the shares up as guest
> > only accounts, making sure that guest is a valid username and
> > (obviously) it has RW access to the share directory/ies.
> >
> > Since from the sounds of things you're already sharing across the
> > workgroup I won't mention the need for all the users to have accounts on
> > the 2k & NT servers, except to say that that is one of the things that
> > having a domain can be useful for(centralised passwords and such).
>
> Ah, nope: I need instructions for the Windows machines too. For example,
> do I create one account on each machine called "guest"? How do I create
> accounts on Windows 98 machines? If I have two Linux boxes, and create
> an account called "guest" on each, will they both be able to access a
> share on the Win2K box, if the Win2k box has an account called "guest"
> and that Win2K account can read and write the share directory?

To create a user account on a Win98 box, open Control panel, there should be
an icon "Password Settings" (IIRC).  (damn my memory) you will be asked about
setting up indivdual settings etc. for each user, do this.  You should now
beable to create users as you want.

A domain make this much simpler as all user accounts/passwords are maintained
in an ISAM database on the domain controller(s) and the workstations
authenticate against the controller(s).  However this does require that you
have a machine that is on 24/7. Since samba can be a PDC on a windows
network, this can be a Linux box that is also your mail server, NIS, DNS,
DHCP server, etc. (but for security, not the firewall).  This is the way I
operate at home.

Early versions of windows networking (Win95, WinNT SP1,2) did not encrypt
passwords (!!!!), so you should make sure that your NT box is at SP4 at least
(should be at SP6a).

Lets try this 1 step at a time.  First of all you need to get samba working.
Try using the following file as your smb.conf (with a little modification)
(derived from mine on samba 2.2.8)

8<----- Cut Here ----

[global]
	# setup logging
	syslog = 0
 	log level = 1
	# socket options for windows
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	# map anon users
 	map to guest = nobody
	# be a windows time server (pre w2k)
	time server = Yes
	# turn on password encryption
	encrypt passwords = yes
	# turn on windows name server (nmbd)
 	wins support = True
	#set the server name for windows
	netbios name = SERVER
	#printing system
 	printing = cups
	printcap name = CUPS
 	load printers = yes
	#set workgroup/domain name
	workgroup = HOME
	#should alway win browser elections
	os level = 64
	preferred master = Yes
	#who is our domain admin user
	domain admin group = @root
	#act a PDC
	domain master = Yes
	domain logons = Yes
	local master = Yes
	#get userid/password from local database
	security = user
	#where to store the users NT/w2k profile
	logon path = \\SERVER\%u\Profile
	#set home drive letter
	logon drive = Z:
	logon home = \\SERVER\%u
	#windows login script (under netlogon share)
	logon script = logon.bat

[netlogon]
	comment = Network logon share
	#required for PDC
	path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
	read only = Yes

[homes]
	create mode = 0644
	browseable = No
	comment = Home Directories
	directory mode = 0755
	writable = yes
	valid users = %S

[printers]
	create mask = 0600
	comment = All Printers
	browseable = No
	printable = Yes
	writeable = yes
	path = /var/spool/samba

[common]
	comment = Common Files
	hide dot files = no
	writeable = yes
	create mode = 775
	path = /home/common
	force group = users
	directory mode = 775

8< ---- Cut Here ----

Then as root, set up your smbpasswd file with the same usernames/passwords as
you use under linux on the server e.g.  "smbpasswd -a sil" will add the user
sil to the samba database.

Now start your samba daemons ("/etc/init.d/samba start").   Check with ps that
smbd and nmbd are running.  Check the logifiles /var/log/sambs/* for any
errors.

Now login on a win98 box and open the control panel.  Open the network
settings applet.  Listed in the box should be "Client for Microsoft
Networks",  your network card, "TCP/IP" and possibly "File and Printer
sharing".  Let me know if there is anything else there.  Click on TCP/IP the
properties and then on the WINS tab.  Add the IP address of the samba server.
Under Bindings, check that the Client for Microsft networks is ticked (and
File and Printer sharing).  Now click OK and select the Identification tab.
Set the workgroup name to the same value as in the smb.conf file.
Apply the changes, which may require the win98 CD and will force a reboot
(isnt windows wonderful!).
Login to windows 98 as the user you just setup under samba with the same
password (setting the local cached copy in the process)  You should now be
able to browse the network under win98 and open SERVER machine and view the
contents of the common and sil shares.

If you have got this working OK, the next step will be to join the win98
machine to the domain and look at the winNT/w2k boxes.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk
ron at wellsted.org.uk