[Wolves] SuSE'rs

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue Mar 2 09:56:56 GMT 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 21:46, Rob Annable wrote:
> Anybody here use SuSE?
>
> Been having trouble with installing new software.  On the rare occasion I
> find a pre-compiled RPM file (a god send to a newbie like me), it keeps
> defaulting to my install DVD.
>
> For example, when I try to install the latest version of Kopete by
> downloading and chossing to install with YaST, it then ignores the file I
> downloaded and asks me to put in my SuSE install disk so that it can
> install the one on there instead.  I'm not getting very far with updates as
> you can imagine.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use SuSE.  The important thing with yast is to configure the online update
to get the SuSE updates.  I use ftp.mirror.ac.uk rather than any of the
suggested mirrors.

If you wish to install a non-SuSE supplied rpm, just use rpm to install
instead of yast.  eg bring up a shell, su to root and type "rpm -ivh
package-name.rpm" to install a new package or "rpm -Fvh packagename.rpm" to
update (freshen) an existing package.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk