[Wolves] Samba/Networking tutorials

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 13:20:48 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 21:41, Rachael Baylis wrote:
> >What do people feel about this, should we just continue the setting up
> >samba
> >thread, or should it be expanded to cover an entire functional network
> >(home
> >upto corporate with VPNs etc.)?
>
> Any samba stuff is good as far as I'm concerned... I've been sporadically
> trying
> to get it working across our home network (three XP machines, one RH8), but
> I can't seem to sort it out, and none of the documentation I've been able
> to find
> online has been more than "unhelpful"...

This could be a problem with WinXP, M$ introduced "packet signing" but left it
turned off by default in w2k. on WinXP they turned it on by default.  Try
turning off the packet signing on one of the WinXP machines.

Use the local policy editor (IIRC Control Panel > Administrative tools) and
set to disabled anything to do with packet signing aka "Sign and Seal" then
reboot the WinXP machine.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk