[Wolves] Released from hospital

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 11:07:38 GMT 2004

Hi All

Some of you will be pleased to hear I am semi back in circulation. The
operation went OK but it is taking a little longer to recover than I
anticipated.

Firstly some even better news for Dave & Adam.

!! I got NFS working today !! cast you're minds back, I wanted to
connect my laptop (Fedora) to my quasi server (Suse). Dave and Adam
pointed me in the right direction, I will admit that I was getting
pretty grumpy because I just couldn't get it to work.

I could ping both ways so that was good. then I had an idea, I have
smb4k installed on the laptop, which as you all know, is a samba type
front end (or at least that's my understanding so don't all start
shouting) anyway I figured if I could get that to work then there must
be a file type problem so a couple of clicks later and hey presto
fanny's your aunt I have a connection via smb4k. "Ah but that's a Linux
to Windows" I here you say, true but it gave me peace of mind that the
network was fine so I must be doing something wrong in terms of entries
to either hosts, hosts.allow or hosts.deny.

I then discovered ethereal (which again I presume you all Know) now I
really like this, looks good, tells you who is contacting who and what
is failing (but not why I hasten to add) I went out and bought Red Hat
Linux Bible (not cheap, I nearly had to be readmitted to hospital the
guy behind the

counter said "you alright mate? you've gone ever so pale") this is a
great book and that gave me the clue/nudge that was needed, make a
totally unsecured sloppy connection! To cut a long story short I took
down the IPTables server on the laptop, which is a firewall I believe,
and whoopee requested the mount on the laptop, I had tcpdump running on
the pc, saw the approval looked at

the mnt folder on the laptop and there it was my shiny new nfs mount.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get it working in conjunction
with iptables.

Thanks for all the fish! and the answer is 42
--
Regards
Peter Cannon
peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk