[Wolves] {Dangerous Filename?} Notify about using the e-mail account.

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Mar 9 09:56:36 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 09:24, support at org.uk wrote:
> Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
> Warning: (MoreInfo.pif).
> Warning: Please read the "lugorguk-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

oooo, scary

> Dear  user, the management of Org.uk  mailing system wants to let  you know that,

and your virus might spread better if it understood regional domain
names

> Some of our clients  complained  about the spam (negative  e-mail content)
> outgoing from  your e-mail account. Probably, you have been  infected  by
> a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep  your computer safe,
> follow  the instructions.
oooo, excellent.  I wonder how many people are falling for mail like
this?

> For details  see the attached file.

that would be the nasty .pif file? well nasty if your system is based on
insecure win16 code and let's you click on an attachment that is a link
to a command on your system and run it with all local privs.

> Have a good day,
>    The Org.uk team                               http://www.org.uk
This raises one or two questions.  Why are people still allowed to spam
the list when I though we had started rejecting emails like this out of
hand.

And why did nominet allow the www.org.uk domain name to be sold and not
forward it to their own servers.

And finally why the feck are the owners of www.org.uk not using it for
domain name sales, have they no sense?

> This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
> The original e-mail attachment "MoreInfo.pif"
> is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
> replaced by this warning message.
Wicked I love a warning message

> If you wish to receive a copy of the original attachment, please
> e-mail root and include the whole of this message
> in your request.
would root at mailman.lug.org.uk send this out if we all asked for it? and
why hasn't Mr Lug.org.uk set up the admin address properly on the
scanner?

> At Tue Mar  9 09:24:44 2004 the virus scanner said:
>    MailScanner: Shortcuts to MS-Dos programs are very dangerous in email (MoreInfo.pif)

yeah, baby.
> [the MailScanner /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine/20040309 (message 1B0dTZ-000092-00)]

sparkes