[Wolves] VOIP

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 13:32:27 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a VOIP service that runs off hardware or Linux
>>compatible software, that connects to normal phones and is cheap?
>>
>>OR
>>
>>Can anyone recommend VOIP software for Linux that'd just let me call PC
>>to PC?
>

> GnomeMeeting, for a start. There are plenty of H.323 compliant
> applications -- speakfreely, as well. Have a look around. Some IM
> clients support it too (although I'm not sure any of the Linux ones do;
> if one does, it'll be Gaim).

What about SIP stuff? I've never actually used in H.323 stuff, so I'll
see if I can have a play around at the weekend. With H.323, could I
think to myself, "I'm gonna call Aq" and then click your name, or
something, and - if your PC's on - get you?

Has anyone seen BT Broadband Voice? It's a rip off but the start of mass
market VOIP to normal phone in the UK. Strangely, they're aiming the
service at Telewest customers but not offering them any real price benefit.