[Wolves] Cygwin/X

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 13:39:45 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Anyone tried Cygwin/X? I'm thinking of sshing into my home machine from
> my work Windows box, forwarding X along that ssh (putty) connection,
> and displaying X apps running on my home box in their own window on my
> Windows machine at work. (So they look like native Windows apps.) Does
> this work like it should? Is it acceptably fast?
>
> Aq.

You could take the easier option and get an x server for windows (e.g.
eXceed).

I've never installed cyg-win, so don't know how easy/difficult it is.

Compression with X (ssh -C -X) makes quite a difference - I've found -
and makes X mostly usable over an adsl line.

However, there is a nifty program called "nx" which does far superior
compression than ssh can do (i..e you can use X over a 56k modem). The
people upstairs demonstrated this to me the other day, where a full
screen X desktop using gnome ran over a 128k isdn line and appeared just
as responsive as a local system. It was very impressive.

See : http://www.nomachine.com/ (I think)

have fun,

David.