[Wolves] Cygwin/X

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Mon Mar 15 15:45:33 GMT 2004

Old Dan spoo'd forth:
> Why would you want to use putty though?  Whilst that does work, why not
> just use the cygwin ssh?  That way it could be as seamless as:

Er, cos that's what I do at the moment, really :)

> Which apps do you want to tunnel?

Well, I was thinking of a suggestion someone (Peter O?) made; I wanted
a GUI mail client that would co-operate with mutt (without using IMAP)
so that I could read mail from my machine itself and while SSHed in,
and it was suggested that I just ran a GUI client and tunnelled an X
connection back to where I was. I'm still not sure about this (what if
I'm sshed in from a *different* Windows box, like one in a cybercafe or
something?[1]) but I thought I'd try it out as a possibility anyway.

Aq.

[1] yeah, yeah, I'd be typing my password into an unsecured machine, I
know, don't worry about that bit for the moment.

--
If hard data were the filtering criterion you could fit the entire
contents of the Internet on a floppy disk.