[Wolves] Much difference between 4.5v and 5v?

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Tue Mar 16 21:22:52 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 21:12, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Mo Awkati wrote:
>
> >The lower voltage would not have cooked your router,
> >however the current it delivers might have. For
> >example you could have 4.5v but .125 amps or 4.5v but
> >1 amp. So check the voltage as well as the current
> >rating. It may just need resetting. usually there is a
> >small hole which you can poke a paperclip end through
> >and press the reset button, this action will restore
> >factory settings.
> >

> Cheers for that Mo. I've just - finally - found my router's tech specs
> on the (it's an unbadged box, so its was a struggle). It takes 5v and
> 2.5 A  in. I've been giving 4.7v and, well, the adaptor says
> "300mA3.6VA(MAX)". So, I guess it's somewhere between those two.
2.5 Amps is one hell of a lot for a simple little bit of kit ;-) so the
chances are you haven't cooked the circuits with your little adaptor.

What you will need is one of the larger multi voltage adaptors.  That is
unless you can find a decent replacement without going the multi voltage
way.  Oh and when I say larger they are larger the simple pound shop
jobby might have the push but hasn't got the width and I here that is
the story of your life ;-)

I replaced an old zip drive adaptor with one of these about 5 years back
and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the real deal.  In fact I
believe I already owned it and had previously used it on a portable tv
so that shows to kind of thing you might be looking at.

I would have recommended rooting about in the bins at the old Waltons
store but that doesn't exist any more (fond memories of buying obsolete
crap and interfacing it to other obsolete crap, in fact that's where the
credit card reader/writer I spoke about last week was from), I would
then have said check out Tandy but that has gone too.  It looks like
stopping off at maplins in Brierly Hill on your way home one night.
It's just after the Merry Hill Centre.

You could even do it on a Lug night and give Mr S Chain a lift over here

sparkes