[Wolves] Suse

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 09:43:26 GMT 2004

Hi Ron

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what I do wrong with Linux but I must inadvertently find
ways to get things to work when in theory they shouldn't, Suse is
running fine, apart from the display (I'm quite impressed with the look
and feel), I'm currently running KDE. I thought of Gnome and so
installed it from the disks, Yast says it is installed however I do not
have the opportunity to run it from the session selector (hope thats the
right terminology) I can run things like Gnome control centre so it is
there.

I did a command query (got it written down at home so can't remember
what it is) but it gives the display output. the one bit that caught my
eye was 82X82 DPI my maths is crap thats why I'm in sales the info I got
for querying the display said:

1 point = 1/72 of an inch

So with that in mind and going back to what I said about changing from
mm to inches I thought this may be the area but I need a mathematician
to tell me how many inches is 82? the rest of the settings are correct
for the monitor.

I should point out that the Voodoo card ran fine under RH9 but I
replaced that with Suse the idea being a tiny home network Suse
(PC/Server) Fedora (Laptop/Client)

Going back to what I said about things working when they shouldn't any
idea why when I create symbolic links (in fact all the symbolic links on
my Fedora distro) the file gets created but says it no longer exists?
weird eh? yet Fedora seems to work OK sorry to chuck another problem
into the pot.

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 21:02, Ron Wellsted wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2004 10:34, Peter Cannon wrote:
> > I am currently running Suse V9 Pro (Retail Box)
> > I have a NEC multisync E500 17" Monitor and a Voodoo 4 Graphics card.
> > The display is set to 1024X768 @ 85HTz
> >
> > The problem is stuff like 'Evolution', the text in email's is really
> > small in fact unreadable.
> >
> > Under Red Hat the solution was to change the display from mm to inches
> > but this is not an option under Suse (At least that's what I think
> > unless you know different?)
> >
> > I have tried yast & SAX to configure with no success. I have noticed
> > that under the graphics card it shows only 3, 5 and another version type
> > but does not show Voodoo4 is this the problem?
>
> Part of the problem could well be the card.  The SuSE support does not list
> the Voodoo 4, while XFree86 does.  However googling suggestes that there are
> several problems with the drivers that do exist.
>
> Are you running Evolution under Gnome or KDE?  If Gnome, try KDE

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk