[Wolves] SQL problem

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 11:53:32 GMT 2004

Simon Burke wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been assigned the task of making a db on SQL server 2000. Does anyone
> know how I can make the actual data viewable in several languages, (ie
> english/welsh)?? I thought of linking databases for each language for some
> of the vaules that get repeated a lot, but im not sure on the rest.
>
> Thanks
> Simon

A non-sql approach :

When using Jakarta's struts a year or more ago, there was a seperate
file for each language. e.g. something.properties.$LANG

The file contained :

key=text

e.g.

front_page_title=Welcome to Wolves
front_page_para1=Wolverhampton is blah blah blah blah

and so on.

Then the page (.jsp) has in it :

<?jsp write="front_page_title"/>

(My jsp tags are totally wrong now, as I've forgotten it already).

Then it's just the case of you e.g. modifying a session variable for the
language which the write function uses to push out text.

A similar approach should be possible with PHP, although as there is no
shared context between PHP requests, it would be harder to cache the
text from one request to the next, and performance might suffer (?).

thanks

David.