[Wolves] SQL problem

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 16:07:23 GMT 2004

Chris Procter wrote:

> For small web-design companies the time it takes to create a nice site for
> your own business could just as easily be spent building a nice site for
> someone who will pay, and when you live hand to mouth (as most small
> companies do) getting paid at the end of the month depends on doing enough
> paying work during that month.

Really not good enough :) If an individual or company wants to set
themselves up a web expert, of some kind, the only way to prove that
expertise is through a practical demonstration.

I take the point about the time spent on your own site could be spent
making money, but I still say they should put in the extra time if they
want to be taken seriously; the marketplace doesn't care if they haven't
the time to put into designing their own site.

The reall issue, tho', is where companies *do* create a site but one
that breaks so many basic rules. They demonstrate their ineptitude in
the skills they expert people to pay them for.

> Plus the fact that a lot of people out there just have really bad taste but
> dont realise it.

I'd say this isn't to do with taste. I don't like the Toyote Corolla but
I accept that it adheres to car design principles. The websites I'm
talking about are not designed with poor taste: they're created with a
flagrant disregard for the principles that the rest of us work so hard
to promote.

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.