[Wolves] Sun and Solaris - worth a go??

Simon Burke its_simon_burke at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:26:45 GMT 2004

On 19/3/04 9:05 am, "Matthew Revell" <wolveslug at understated.co.uk> wrote:

> David Goodwin wrote:
>
>>> I'm thinking about sticking Solaris on one of my spare Athlon machines
>>> and perhaps running it as a combined file server, for my own network,
>>> and web server. Worth a go?
>>>
>> Can't hurt :)
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much my attitude :)

I've recently tried solaris 10 on one of my machines and it went quite well,
though I struggled a bit getting it work work with my graphics card. So I'd
say yeah give it a go. The installer has improved a bit, its usable by me so
its improved lol.

>> I tried intel solaris (7) out ages ago on a PII 400, and found it's
>> default install to be somewhat lacking (i.e. bash not there etc, and
>> only CDE which I don't like) so I dropped it and went back to Linux.
>
> Arg. I imagine it at least comes with Gnome, now.
Don't ask me Im still using blackbox, or mayb Sunbs java desktop maybe??
Heh.