[Wolves] Mplayer

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 14:40:38 GMT 2004

Hi All

Can anyone help before I throw this machine across the room! I loaded
Mplayer three days ago using the Linux Format HOT Picks disk.

I can start the player (Looks slick) but can't play a bloody thing. I
tried looking at the AVI file posted yesterday and got:
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-VO) device.

OK lets put watching dodgy films on one side for a minute.

I then tried the LUG Radio file now this is playing but with no sound
output (I can see the progress bar moving counter increasing) the VOL
control will not slide (jumps back to the start) and under the menu
panel MUTE is greyed out so I take it that my sound card is not detected
the sound card is an ESS Maestro 2E the graphics is an ATI Mobility

I have looked at the website, downloaded the manual (page by page I
might add) but I still cant get my head round the problem is there a
kind soul can help?

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk