[Wolves] Mplayer

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Mar 19 15:19:25 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> Hi Dan
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 14:58, Old Dan wrote:
>>Peter Cannon wrote:
<snipperoonie />
>>For audio it may be that artsd is interfering - I certainly have found
>>that in the past with some applications - running mplayer through
>>artsdsp (as in 'artsdsp mplayer -vo sdl
>>dodgy_file_I_have_downloaded.avi'  :) ) may do the trick, but last I
>>knew artsdsp was a kludge...
>>HTH
>
> Sorry to seem thick but was this answer or an observation? Whats a
> Kludge?
Ah.  Kludge=probably badly written, will probably work but isn't
guaranteed to, not an ideal solution etc...

  Perhaps I should have said I am trying to run Mplayer in GUI,
> not risen to the higher plane of text mode yet.
OK.  In that case 'gmplayer -vo sdl -ao sdl' might do the trick... :)

Actually thinking about it using sdl as the audio out might just get
around arts....

IME though I have actually found it easier to get mplayer working than
gmplayer.  It also seemed to have less overhead (as in it meant I could
play DivX films and the like at fullscreen, full framerate on my laptop)
than gmplayer.

As always, of course, YMMV.
--
Dan