[Wolves] DynDNS

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 01:00:46 GMT 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 14:35, Mark Trotman wrote:
> Matthew Revell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know many of you run DynDNS type services, so I was wondering if you
> > could recommend one. I'm looking at ZoneEdit (free even for your own
> > domains) or DynDNS.org ($24.95 a year, for your own domains). ZoneEdit
> > reserve the right to charge, tho'.
>
> I've used dyndns.org for years (the free version) and I haven't had a
> problem.

If you own a domain and would like a hostname within it to resolve to a
dynamically changing IP address such as a home machine, you could use the
free DynDNS service, then set up a CNAME record in your domain as an alias
for the DynDNS hostname.

For example, if I used the free DynDNS service to resolve (say)
jimbohome.dyndns.org to a home machine with dynamic IP, and wanted to be able
to access the machine as home.turnersoft.co.uk, I would put this in the zone
file for turnersoft.co.uk (or ask my ISP to do it if I didn't run the DNS
myself):

home	IN	CNAME	jimbohome.dyndns.org.

Hope this is of interest/help.

James