[Wolves] Wireless

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Mon Mar 22 14:11:54 GMT 2004

Right, I'm gonna get some wireless stuff. I currently have a smoothwall
box being my gateway to the net, and some machines connected to the
smoothwall box. I want both my laptops to be wireless. How should I set
it up? I will put a wireless card in each laptop. I would also like the
laptops to be able to see my internal network.

I could presumably either put a third wireless card in one of the
internal machines, put a third wireless card in the smoothwall box, or
plug a wireless access point into the internal network. Thoughts about
each of these:

1. Wireless card in an internal machine
That machine would have to route between the wireless network and the
wired internal network, or possibly bridge between them. That machine
would also have to be on all the time. This would allow any wardriver
access to my internal network unless I encrypted all my wireless
traffic. Should I make the wireless network a separate subnet and route
between them, or put them all on the same subnet and bridge rather than
route?

2. Make a wireless DMZ
Does Smoothwall know about wireless cards? I also wouldn't be able to
access the internal network from the wireless network, which i want to
be able to do. If I open up access from the DMZ, then we hve the
wardrivers problem again.

3. Wireless access point on the internal network
Easy to set up. More expensive, though. Wardrivers problem again.

My internal network is pretty much unprotected, and I'd vaguely like to
keep it that way, so I don't have to spend ages configuring firewalls
on all machines. Can I give my laptops access to my internal network
while keeping wardrivers out, without having to do IPsec on my internal
network? For extra bonus points, can I allow wardrivers to get access
to the internet without giving them access to my internal network?

Which wireless products should I buy? One of the laptops is a Windows
one, one Linux. If I go with option 1 and make a machine a bridge or
router, that machine will be my machine, which is Linux.

Any help with dragging my network into the 21st century gratefully
accepted!

Aq.

--
Two things I learned for sure during a particularly intense acid trip
in my own lost youth: (1) everything is a trivial special case of