[Wolves] Top quoting, bottom quoting, bloody everything quoting

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 14:28:25 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:

> I haven't the foggiest what your talking about?

When you reply to a message, you can either:

- quote the message you're replying to and put your reply below it
- quote the message you're replying to and put your reply above it
- quote the relevant parts of the message you're replying to and put
your replies in the relevant places, as I am with this mail.

> I saw something about this the other day but didn't take much notice,
> are you saying cut out most of the text and just leave your reply
> comments and the paragraph/sentence that your reply relates too?

Broadly, yes. At the very least, cut out other people's signatures and
lines such as "XXXX wrote:", when they're from previous messages.

> Tell me the rules (set it out in black and white clearly and precisely)
> and I'll stick to em!

It wasn't a dig at you, so don't worry :) It was just an observation;
some people get very pissed off about top posting (i.e. quoting a
message and writing your reply *above* that quote) but seem to forgive
vast swathes of redundant header/signature information quoted, so long
as the reply appears below it.

> Mind you while were on the subject Ive seen a
> couple of cryptic postings today, people are either talking in code or
> having dual conversations one directly and one via the list so that the
> list postings make no sense.

Really? Can't say I've seen anything like that.

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.

www.contentpeople.info - for web writers and editors