[Wolves] What on earth is running on this computer?

Tom Mortimer-Jones tmj at tc.bham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 19:14:35 GMT 2004

On Monday 22 March 2004 6:34 pm, Mark Ellse wrote:
> If I go to a Windows machine, I right click on My Computer, choose
> Properties and I see what software is running on it.
>
> How can I do the same for Linus. Like what version of linux is running;.
> what version of Gnome, what version kernel etc:

You can find out which kernel you are running by typing "uname -r".
To find out what packages you have installed depends on the distribution that
you are running. For rpm based distrobutions, eg Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake...
then you can type "rpm -qa" to list all of the rpms installed on your system,
this will produce a long list of packages. I don't know how to do the
equivalent on a debian based system, but there are a lot of debian users on
the lug so I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

Getting a nicer answer than this long list is distro specific, eg if you're
using SuSE then you can use the YAST package install module to tell you what
packages are installed.

Hope this helps,

Tom.