[Wolves] Movie Players

Lee Jordan lists at leejordan.org.uk
Tue Mar 23 09:48:00 GMT 2004

If you want to get to the source of the problem. Disable aRts in the KDE
Control Centre, try Mplayer again and see if aRts had a hold of your
soundcard. Without aRts running the Open Source Sound System or ALSA should
in theroy kick in. If that doesn't work fire up a Konsole (x-term, terminal,
insert-your-fav-term-here) and type

mplayer <your-file-here>

If you can read the messages that are given you might see /dev/null or
/dev/dsp or something like that. If you see "Permission denied" then
something is really holding on to your sound card. Again try this with aRts
and with out. if you can't read the messages type the following on one line

mplayer file.mp3 >> error.log && cat error.log | more

this should log the output messages to a file called error.log in your
current directory (pwd will tell you where you are). You will have to stop
the file playing if you want to immediatly read the error file by hitting
the escape key as you are trying to view video.

If aRts is to blame then set the time out of idle-ness for aRts in the KDE
Control Centre, in theory this says to aRts that no sound has been played
for a few seconds so sleep for a bit, thus giving other apps a chance to
steal the soundcard. If it's something else then try running mplayer as
root, if not look on google to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

Hope that has helped
Lee