[Wolves] Hard Disks and backups

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 14:35:17 GMT 2004

Thanks,

> > Can Linux do disk mirroring out of the box
> Yes.  See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Ah I had forgotton the HowTo's. Some nice bedtime reading for me :(

> > Does Linux support HP Travan tape drives?
> Yes.  I think it's the ide-tape driver, if your drive's an IDE.  Dunno
> about parallel-port travans.  I think they're supported, but I wouldn't
> swear to it.

Excellent. We have one of each, a IDE and a parallel (and maybe a SCSI as
well!), so I even have a choice!

> IME the people who have drives go ape on them are usually the
> same people all the time - I think it may be more to do with the owners
> than the drives themselves... ;)  YMMV of course...

Cool, duel cheap mirrored drives it is then.

> > Anything else I should take into consideration?
> You may (probably will) have difficulty in getting that old BIOS on the
> (S7?) mainboard to recognise drives that big.

Very good point, hadn't thought of that one. I was hoping to repurpose an
old machine that was heading to the skip, but I can steal a better one from
the desktop pool if I need to so I can

So it looks like I am good to go. A bit of scripting and I'm away.

Thanks everyone.

chris

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.