[Wolves] SOPHOS was (Bash/Terminal)

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 17:30:49 GMT 2004

Hi Trog

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 16:59, trog wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2004 11:56 am, you wrote:
> >
> > I was mooching around my system in a shell using the CD command as my
> > SOPHOS anti-virus said it could not open an item.
>
> Are you aware that Sophos have downgraded several previously detected
> items?  eg msbb-a (spyware by 180Solutions.com) To quote from Sophos
> "Following customer feedback Sophos has disabled detection of this
> application,  which is not a virus."  I wonder if the feedback came from
> 180Solutions?
>
> Not a problem under a real o/s of course, but at work we have some m$ boxes
> and we rely on Sophos (we have no choice in the matter, or I'd use Symantec).

I don't really want to get into a slanging match over anti virus
products, suffice to say we are an authorised reseller of SOPHOS
personally I prefer it to NORTON (Symantec) plus it has one bonus for
business use, for 5 User plus purchases the equivalent number of staff
may take it home, load it and use it as a fully licensed product the
idea being your company is protected from staff bringing something from
home, I am not aware of any other (Pay for) products that allow that.

Anyway don't knock it, its one of my little installation/configuration
under Linux that I'm proud of. I installed it myself customised a run
script I found on the net, set up another script to update the IDE's
then set up a cron job to run an update and a system sweep twice a day
and then send me an two emails one confirming the IDE update and the
other giving the output of the sweep.

I did it all from read me and man files (SOPHOS help, I will admit,
where not the best for LINUX) so considering my limited experience I'm
very proud of myself.

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk