[Wolves] BBC Strike Again

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Mar 29 18:53:09 BST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Jon Farmer wrote:

> Apparently this device uses Linux to save money!

I spotted that this morning.  I think the simputer is a big step forward
none the less.  It's a totally open design and anybody can make them.
That's where it saves money the people who designed everything did it for
the good of the community (although they have raised there profile in the
indian it industry a massive amount).  They used university equipment to
design and test the chips and donated a massive amount of time to the
project over the last 4 years.

I thought it had died a death when nothing new seemed to come out of it
for a couple of years.  It is still pretty expensive if you live in
india and can't afford a
computer then one of these isn't that much cheaper.  Plus you have peer
pressure telling you it isn't a real computer and the kids will badger you
until you sell your soul to buy a wintel machine so they can use pirated
software like their freinds.

sparkes