[Wolves] BBC

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Wed Mar 31 13:26:13 BST 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
>>>Now hang on, the complaint is if you don't reply to the original message
>>>the thread ie content is lost. Now you are saying cut the mails down so
>>>that will mean the crux of the discussion is lost.
>>Er no.  Decent email clients (including yours if I'm not mistaken) can
>>sort emails into threads based on what is being replied to, in much the
>>same way as newsgroup posts are.
> Sorry Dan You've lost me here? firstly I'm talking about the body of the
> message which is what you asked me to trim!

Actually all I was saying was that you should take out the bits which
aren't needed, like (for instance) the bit at the bottom put there by
mailman.  I wasn't directly referring to content - notice I've kept all
the content I feel is relevant in /this/ reply.  It isn't the first time
I've mentioned this either.

However, the two points(trimming posts and replying to the thread to
which you are referring) are not in any way contradictory, in fact they
would compliment and reinforce each other if we all used threaded mail
clients.

  secondly I'm not going to
> ponce about putting fifty different filters on my system I have a finger
> and a delete button that can achieve all of that.
> Keep it clean make it mean.
...lose messages.

> I only have inbox, LUG and Fedora folders as the main receiving folders.
> Once read or replied to any mails, I delete or move them to a saved
> items folder. Simple clean and efficient.

Well that's up to you.  It does mean that you're going to annoy
people(not just me) if you continue in this way.

--
Dan