[Wolves] BBC

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 31 15:29:27 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:02, Simon Burke wrote:
> On 31/3/04 1:30 pm, "Old Dan" <dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org> wrote:
>

> > Actually all I was saying was that you should take out the bits which
> > aren't needed, like (for instance) the bit at the bottom put there by
> > mailman.  I wasn't directly referring to content - notice I've kept all
> > the content I feel is relevant in /this/ reply.  It isn't the first time
> > I've mentioned this either.
> >
> Well, I'm sorry to say but I'm gonna voice my opinion, while im waiting for
> a render. I'm getting bored and annoyed of all this trimming business. I
> understand why people are saying it and I agree with some of it. But for the
> past couple of days its been nothing but posts about trimming, and this isnt
> the first time.
> I'm not b*tching at anyone in particular, I jusr flet the need to intervene.

Thank god you did intervene at least you semi feel the same as me.

> Everyone does things differently Well done glad to see some sense and that ow I see it, infact I just have
> one e-mail account Lug stuff another for personal another to send junkmail
> to when signing up for things and the list goes on. The LUG one is just an
> inbox no folders, so I can follow it easily, and esp as I have over 700Mb
> storage, I delete everything at least 3weeks old.

Exactly what I was saying, if I understand this threading lark right the
idea is to keep all the mails so that you can look back/trawl through
them as some sort of database. I looked at Kmail last night which I take
the view is specific to threaded mail judging by all the threaded mail
options, I don't use Kmail, I presume the reason people want mail
trimming is to keep the space used to a minimum? Thats easy to achieve,
delete the mail, you don't need it!

> Anyway this is a LUG not a trimming mailing list, to quote someone from last
> time we had a discussion like this, and this is most true.
> >
> > Well that's up to you.  It does mean that you're going to annoy
> > people(not just me) if you continue in this way.
>
> Sorry to say that but I felt it needed to be said, and I am open to your
> wrath, but plz I know its annoying but lets not be so pedantic about it.
> Lets just work it out once and for all, and maybe just send out a welcome
> e-mail with rules to new members, and end this madness

I haven't cut this down so people can see what is being said and the
reason it is being said.