[Wolves] The only Linux machine on a Windows network

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 15:55:32 BST 2004

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me. I got my boss
to let me install a Linux machine to play with, so I
now have a Morphix/Debian box at work.

Now, I can't get out of the network. That is, I can
use Samba to connect to our servers and stuff and view
our intranet, but I can't get out onto the internet.

It's picking up a DHCP lease ok from an NT4 server
with the correct ip address, subnet mask and DNS
servers, but no internet. ifconfig reports all of the
right stuff for eth0.

I can ping our servers, but I can't ping Yahoo or
anything external, I can't try a traceroute because
its not installed and I don't have anything to install
it from.

I tried to be clever and add our router as the default
gateway, but I got the following error:

SIOCADDRT: Network unreachable

Can anyone tell me where to start looking, so I can
impress everyone at work with how cool Linux is? I am
happy to provide further info.

Thanks,

Ad

=====