[Wolves] Slow Webmin from remote machine

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue May 11 22:51:31 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 16:26, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I have Webmin running on my server and am accessing it remotely from a
> Windows 98 machine (pending me putting Debian on it). When I access
> Webmin locally on the Debian server, it runs nice and quick. Remotely on
> the Win 98 machine it's really slow.
>
> I've read some stuff on the net saying this may be a resolution problem.
> Can anyone add a little more meat to that, please? Is it something I
> need to fix on the Debian machine or is it a problem with the Win 98
> machine, do y'reckon? If it's the latter, I'll put up with it until I'm
> running Debian on the Win 98 machine.

Could be a name resolution issue (most network speed issues are).  Check
/etc/hosts on the debian machine and C:\windows\hosts on the Win98
machine contains the IP address of itself (not just the 127.0.0.1
localhost entry) and (all) the other machines(s) on the network.

Or setup a DNS server and ensure all machines use it and are registered
with it.

HTH

--
Ron Wellsted