[Wolves] feck.

fizzy fizzyorguk at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 14:26:48 BST 2004

 --- Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> What did you find wrong with removing
> stuff? I'm puzzled.

It wasn't so much a problem with removing stuff, it
was the amount of stuff.  I started with about 1100
packages from knoppix, which I got down to 500 ish,
and that was still too many.  I pretty much want the
debian base system, and that's it.  Fuck everything
else, if I find I need it I can install it.

I was trying to go through stuff a few at a time, say
ten at a go.  I'd put in the ten, then discover that
one of the packages is a dependency for something
important and then have to go on a mission to find out
which package was causing the problem.

Example: M4.  I looked at m4 and it didn't sound that
useful, so I put it in a list of things to remove.
Then debian told me I was about to do something
stupid, and I should go away and think about it.  So
then I had to individually go through removing each
package, until I worked out that it was m4 that was
important, and then keep that.

Going through everything in one big lump sounds
lovely, if it was possible, but it just doesn't seem
that way, unless you know what packages are important.

I'm guessing there is a solution, possibly something
to do with dselect? To get rid of everything apart
from debian base, but I can't work it out.  Yes, I rtf
dselect manual, and tried to work out what the bloody
hell was going on, but it still makes no sense.

It's not even a linux problem, other distros have
easier ways of selecting groups of packages, either
debian doesn't, and it should, or debian does too, and
it should make it more obvious!

> Aq.

fizz

=====