[Wolves] Argh

John J. Smith smid at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon May 24 12:06:59 BST 2004

sparkes wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 19:07, John J. Smith wrote:
>

>>And how exactly do I boot into debian? I'll restate. It borked my
>>bootable hard disk.
>>

>arrrhh, then you need a resue disk.  The mandrake one might not be
>flexible enough.  Try downloading one of the single floppy linux distros
>or a live cd one

Any suggestions? Probably got a distro on one of those linux format dvds...

>>It didnt really give me that choice. It said "install bootloader" and it
>>has /dev/hda (rather than
>>/dev/hda1, multiple partitions on the main disk, mainly because of OS
>>and swap).
>>

>the bootloader is on the boot loader is on disk boot sector not on a
>partition.  it's the root partition of mandrake that is on /dev/hda1.
>
>A live cd should leave you able to see the partitions in question and
>install a decent boot loader to solve your problems

Thanks. Its whether I can get back.... :)

>>Sparkes, can you fix you clock BTW :)
>>

>and how should I fix it.  My radio set clock stays it is 11.16am BST my
>computer clock says it is the correct UTC time, my emailer seems to send
>the correct time, and my email client is showing correct BST times for
>the messages I have sent.
>
>Your clock appears to suggest that it is your computer with a time
>problem you are sending emails 8 hours in the future ;-) either your
>clock needs fixing or my views on physics ;-)

Switched back to windows, and, well, it seems to think everyone else is
at 2ish. Maybe my timezone
is in china or something. Lets check. Yep, decded it was Canada... The
perils of leaving your windows
distro for a while...

Sorry, I'll try and engage brain next time before mailing :) In my
defence, someones  clock _was_
wrong a few weeks ago :)

    Smid