[Wolves] Argh

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Mon May 24 12:46:36 BST 2004

John J. Smith wrote:
> David Goodwin wrote:
>
>> John J. Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I tried the Debian installer to put a version of the OS on /dev/hdd1
>>> (I have a few old IDE
>>> drives to use for alternative OS's). Now its screwed up the partition
>>> table on hda. Rescue
>>> disk for mandrake cant find the root partition... Any ideas?
>>>
>>> I just want a couple of bits of stuff off the main disk (bookmarks,
>>> mail sent etc), any ideas?
>>

>> Does fdisk -l /dev/hda show anything?
>

> head/cylinders, but when it comes to device boot/start, theres nothing
> listed.

If you know what size your partitions were, you can safely recreate
them, but if you have the wrong sizes etc then you'll hit problems.

I *suspect* that if your data was on /dev/hda1, then creating a linux
partition starting at 0 and spanning beyond the end of where hda1 used
to be would work fine (as you do this to resize a volume anyway). If you
don't create it large enough then you might be able to access some data,
but not all. Perhaps this depends upon teh filesystem used. I've not
tried this.

If your data was not on hda1, e.g. perhaps hda2 or greater, then you're
probably out of luck.

thanks

David.