[Wolves] /etc/resolv.conf

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Mon May 31 18:28:41 BST 2004

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Anyone got any tips for what should be in my /etc/resolv.conf file? my
> domain resolutions are horrifically slow at the moment.
>
> Here's what it's got:
>
> nameserver 192.168.8.1
What is the DNS server you are trying to connect to?  Do you have one on
your LAN?  192.168.8.1 is a local address - smoothwall perchance?

> nameserver 139.175.55.244
A swift whois on this DNS reveals it is a Taiwanese address (transferred
to APNIC) so if your smoothie isn't forwarding requests and you're
relying on this I'm not suprised it's slow... :)

Who are your ISP?  Enter their primary/secondary DNS swerver addys into
resolv.conf and it /should/ make quite a difference.  (You can even do
this if you are using smoothie IIRC)

> I've tried commenting out each in turn, but it seems to make no
> difference. Is it perhaps something to do with my /etc/hosts file? That
> currently looks like:
>
> 127.0.0.1    Lyne localhost
> 192.18.8.18     loopback
Not having 127.0.0.1 as loopback is unusual IME but I don't know whether
it would cause any issues (I presume 192.168.8.18 is eth0 on that machine)
I think it might if you have any sort of firewalling on that machine.

> # (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
>
> ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> As an aside, do I need all that ipv6 stuff in there?
Fsck knows.  What I know about IPv6 could be written on the backs of the
fleas in a flea circus in large, legible handwriting.  :)

Just my 0.01 penneths worth.

--
Dan