[Wolves] using GNU Screen to join two terminals?

David Goodwin dg at clocksoft.com
Mon Nov 1 14:28:36 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:
> Hey guys.
>
> I am looking to use gnu screen on a shell account I ssh into to show my
> irc session on more than one local machine.  I think I need to start
> screen on the shell acount with a named screen, and start irssi.  I
> should then be able to connect to the machine from another local box and
> then connect the screen process to this terminal as well.  Any ideas how
> this is done?  As usual gnu software is let down by poor docs :-(
>
> how do I do this?

I believe only one terminal can have screen at any one time.

After starting screen, the magic keys are :

ctrl+a+c = create new "window"
ctrl+a+d = disconnect
ctrl+a+a = switch between last screen "window" adn the current one.
ctrl+a+N = switch to "window" N (where N is a number)

 From ssh'ing in run :

screen -rd
(disconnects any existing screen, and connects you to it)

screen
(starts a new screen session)

Hope that's of some use.

There is also a program called "splitvt" which allows you to split a
window into multiple strips (use ctrl+w to switch with this i think)

David.

--
David Goodwin
w: http://www.clocksoft.com