[Wolves] using GNU Screen to join two terminals?

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Mon Nov 1 14:44:55 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:46, sparkes wrote:
> I am looking to use gnu screen on a shell account I ssh into to show my
> irc session on more than one local machine.  I think I need to start
> screen on the shell acount with a named screen, and start irssi.  I
> should then be able to connect to the machine from another local box and
> then connect the screen process to this terminal as well.  Any ideas how
> this is done?  As usual gnu software is let down by poor docs :-(

It's all in screen --help, but it might not be obvious...

> how do I do this?

Step 1:

From a shell, enter the following:

  screen irssi

This will launch screen and load irssi into screen 0 (you don't always
have to use a shell). It's up to you whether you detach at this point
(ctrl+a,d) - it makes no difference.

Step 2:

From another shell (local or remote), enter the following:

  screen -list

This will give you a list of sessions like follows:

  There is a screen on:
          3483.pts-0.edgar        (Attached)
  1 Socket in /tmp/uscreens/S-schwuk.

Step 3:

Using the session number you retrieved in Step 2, enter the following:

  screen -x 3483

You will now be sharing your screen session. Go ahead - try it from
multiple shells...

You can attach/detach as many sessions as you like, but when you exit
the application (assuming you launched the application directly, not
from a screen shell) that screen will terminate.

Guess it's time to update my "Introducing Screen" article[1]...

[1] http://www.cumbria.lug.org.uk/index.php?id=6

Cheers,
--
Schwuk - http://www.schwuk.com