[Wolves] ADSL providers

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 22:49:10 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:

> for what it matters demon where very good to me from 93(ish) to 95(ish)

I had the Tenner-a-month dial-up service with Demon around then and the
service was excellent. I left when the free services came along and went
back about a year ago for ADSL when I got fed up of waiting for
uklinux.net to provide an ADSL service (which they immediately did of
course). I took the wires-only service for £25 per month and I'm still
paying that but they have introduced a cheaper service (see if you can
spot the difference.) My service has been excellent and reliable with
the exception of when you need to speak to a human. They have been taken
over by Scottish-something-or-other and rebranded to something-forgetable.

The technical support (and admin.) is now of the type where you phone
them up having correctly diagnosed the problem and they argue with you
from a position of ignorance. Luckily there are a lot of Linux users on
Demon. If you can make it work yourself then everything is great. If you
need help from them then good luck!

A colleague has just bought the BT service and it doesn't work. He is
now playing ping-pong between 'BT' and 'BT ADSL' who both say it is the
other one's responsibility to get it working. 'BT' proved that if he
takes the front off his socket and plugs his filter into the internal
socket it works. This was clearly intended to prove it isn't their
problem, not to help. He now has to call the ADSL people during office
hours. In a 2 minute conversation this afternoon we established that he
probably just has too much kit plugged in. Ironically he went to BT so
that he had a 'single supplier'.

Woo