[Wolves] VNC

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Nov 2 07:45:24 GMT 2004

Mo Awkati wrote:
> I am not sure about the SSH, is it secure shell? I
> might need to go back and read the SUSE admin manual.
> So, once the SSH is established I can use vncviewer??

SSH is indeed secure shell. SSH has the feature that you can "tunnel"
other protocols over it. When you establish the SSH connection, you tell
it "set up a tunnel from my machine to the VNC server on the machine I'm
SSHing into", and then, while the SSH connection is established, you can
VNC to *your own machine* and you will *actually* be VNCing into the
remote machine! [1] It's dead clever :)

Bit more detail:

Instead of doing

ssh username at remotemachine

do

ssh -L 5901:localhost:5900 username at remotemachine

and then, while the SSH connection is up, on *your* machine (not in the
SSH connection), do

vncviewer localhost:1

and you will be VNCing into the remote machine.

Sorry if that's not very well explained; if so, do let us know, and
we'll try a better explanation :)

Aq.

[1] Those of you who already know about this will know that I'm glossing
over stuff here, but shush. :)