[Wolves] Project Management Tools

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 21:20:54 GMT 2004

Adam Sweet wrote:

>I've been looking at tools for my project. It would be
>nice to use as many open source tools as possible. I
>have to produce a Gantt chart etc and would prefer not
>to use MS Project.
>
>Can anyone recommend some project management tools for
>Linux? I've come across Imendio Planner, which appears
>to be pretty good, does anyone know of anything
>better?

I've just started using this too. I used a very early flaky version when
it was Mr.Project but lost it when the name changed and Red Hat didn't
notice. I'm impressed so far. I like the way it lets you use appropriate
units of time. It is also the first tool I've seen that recognises that
you don't necessarily work the same number of hours every day of the week.

I personally think Gantt charts are the work of the devil. Why does
drawing a picture of someone's complete guess make it more powerful than
the reality that you now actually understand the problem and it is going
to take longer than that - however many times a day you have progress
meetings? Fortunately the Force is strong in dependency mapping.

>I am also using umbrello for UML modelling.

Dia also has support for UML diagrams.

I love Freemind, a mind-mapping tool with a really intuitive user
interface for getting your initial ideas down quickly - It looks much
better than the tool reviewed in Linux Format this month and it can save
to a folding HTML tree. It really does need Java 1.4. If I could only
have one piece of software this would be it.

Out,
Woo