[Wolves] TXT to XML

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 16:38:06 GMT 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:18:50 +0000, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:

> >would it be possible to convert them to say XML as a CGI script, or
> >would i have to convert them first and then add then to the site?? I
> >have the soft to convert them as are but i just wondered if it
> >possible to convert them using a cgi script.
>
> Hm. If all your docs are in a specific format then I suppose this would
> be possible. I'd recommend, though, not doing that; conversions of
> arbitrary data stuff to XML would be a bit hairy, unless you can flat
> out guarantee that all the files are in that specific format. What do
> you mean by "a CMS...to manage my doc library"? What sorts of docs are
> we talking about, and what do you want to do to manage them?
>
> Aq.
All the pre-written docs are in plain ASCII the stuff I am writing i
think is in plain ASCII, or will be.

The CMS, well DMS really is purely for my own use and maybe for
release online once i get it full enough. I'm making a technical
library with such lovely things as my precious RFC's (well not mine
but they are my bible tbh), man pages,  syntax for the stuff like TCL,
Python and C, (the langs i know enough of) and pretty much anything
else like that i can think of.

I can put my own stuff in whatever not a problem but its the rfcs et
al that i need formatting, they are in plain ASCII format, and i want
to make them look all nice and shiny with not necessarily XML but
something that can be easily read in a browser and looks nice.

Management is mainly updating them where applicable by either editing
them or replacing them as necessary as well as structuring them, but
if I'm exposing it to the web eventually then other features may be
required, but that maybe just be something like linking to a phpbb
site or something so that doesn't matter at this point.

--
There's no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB