[Wolves] ADSL Contention ratio

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Fri Nov 12 12:02:45 GMT 2004

fizzy wrote:
> Hola,
>
> I'm still looking at all this ADSL melarky (wish I
> could get blueyonder :( ).  Bytemark Look good, £27.60
> for 1024/256k uncapped with a static ip.  However,
> it's got a crap contention ratio (50:1).  What does
> this mean?! I live in a fairly commercial area, does
> that effect things? Am I likely to get anywhere near
> 1024/256 with that kind of contention?!

BT IPStream products have 2 contention ratios for ADSL 50:1 and 20:1.
The contention ratio means that you could be sharing the bandwidth you
have with up to that many users. If you are on a 50:1 product that could
sound alarming but in practive the DSLAMS at the exchange have so much
capacity the contention ratio is not going to become a issue for a few
years. As most know I work for Entanet and I program our systems for
ADSL management. I have never known any of our customers make a
complaint about contention ratio issues.

BTW BT are currently looking at doing trials on 2Mb 50:1 ADSL.

--
Jon Farmer
Systems Programmer