[Wolves] ADSL Contention ratio

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 11:20:15 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:23:05 +0000, Jon Farmer <jonfarmer at enta.net> wrote:
> Kevanf1 wrote:
>
> > Why is it that in places like Japan they have standard ADSL at the
> > equivalent of around £15 per month at 10mb downstream?  Is it purely
> > down to the greed of BT clinging to the local loop?  Or are our
> > networks just not up to the job?
>
> I am not a 100% sure but I would suspect the infrastructure in Japan
> supports those speeds. All ADSL provision from BT is over copper PSTN
> lines and they have limitations due to the properties of the copper.
> This is one of the reasons why modems can only go to 57k. That being
> said as technology matures they can get greater speeds out of it on DSL.
>
> One of my colleague's parents live in Taiwan and they have fiber
> straight into their apartment block and they get around 10mb.
>
> --
> Jon Farmer
> Systems Programmer
> Entanet International Ltd
> GPG Fingerprint ABCB 6E92 59B8 001F FE9C  0817 A2D6 0151 FF49 9040

Cheers Jon.  Am I getting cynical in my old age when I see BT
announcing makor BB speed improvements?  This will happen a few years
from now but will be accompanied by 'buts' :-(  Those buts being "but
we will have to upgrade all of the lines"; "but we will have to charge
so much more for these improvements".  Improvements which will be
needed anyway as the lines naturally degrade and need replacing.
Which is, of course, factored in with the charges already paid by BT
customers - whether they are direct or not.

As I said, perhaps I'm getting cycnical :-)))

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer

34 Hill Street