[Wolves] Red Hat Enterprise Server

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 15:26:51 GMT 2004

Simon Burke wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:11:21 +0000, James Turner <james at turnersoft.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>On Friday 19 Nov 2004 19:41, Simon Burke wrote:
>>

>>>If someone wants a play then by
>>>all means my copy (and it is a copy) is available as i'm not going to
>>>use it.
>>>

>>I'm certainly interested in taking you up on this. Are you going to the next
>>LUG meeting?
>>

>I usually dont manage to be able to show up, but i can pop it in no
>problem. Also i must say that with the copy you wont be able to
>update, as it requires either a subscription or 'serial number' of
>sorts, which i have neither

I feel I have to say something in defence of Red Hat. I've been
interested in Linux since before it existed as a way of learning Unix. I
tried several distros in the early days. The improvement in the
experience of installing Red Hat was spectacular. Later their huge
growth led to a couple of releases that were distinct down-grades in
reliability. To their credit they always made it very easy to find and
download the free version of the distro.

 From my experience of working in large 'corporates' there was
definately a problem of trust and complete lack of understanding of how
'the same product' could be available free or for a charge. I think this
was assumed to be a trap.

Red Hat's brave decision to seperate all-free Fedora Core from Red Hat
Enterprise was a logical step. Free software purists had a community
project unpolluted by commercial software that they could contribute to
and capitalist 'decison makers' had a comfortingly expensive product
with commercial software included in the price and finally someone to
sue if it all went wrong.

Where I think they went wrong was in the statement that accompanied the
Fedora launch which asserted that no Linux users were entitled to a free
ride. They either had to contribute effort to the Fedora project or
money to Red Hat. I was never sure why the Fedora contributors would
prefer the fruits of their labour to go to Red Hat shareholders rather
than charities and schools who might previously have benefitted from
free software. I moved from Rad Hat Linux to Ferora Core 1 on a laptop
that I use nearly every day. It has never crashed. The only thing that
is encouraging me to upgrade is the availability of software that will
only run on Core 2 plus.

It isn't fair to compare the resource use of Debian with RHE. The
comparison should be with Fedora Core.

According to this comparison:
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

there are "300 supported applications, including BEA, CA, IBM, Oracle,
VERITAS" along with Red Hat's own enterprise level management utilities
for clustering, software distribution etc. This will tend to make it
bigger. I believe it also makes it something you shouldn't copy. Red Hat
have always added to bloat by providing 3 pieces of software to do
everything and leaving you to decide what to delete. This encourages
diversity but wastes an awful lot of time when you are new to a system
and in no position to make the decisions.

Woo