[Wolves] ubuntu live cd success rate?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 15:50:11 GMT 2004

Am I very unlucky in my choice of hardware?

I've booted the Ubuntu Live CD on 4 PCs with a 25% success rate.

It worked (horribly slowly) on a Northwood (Software Warehouse) Pentium
with only 48MB but said I had to create a swap file on a DOS partition.
It looks good.

It failed to boot on an old Tosh Tecra, a second-hand gamers self-build
with an ex-bleeding-edge motherboard and a PC World own-brand machine
with bog-standard components. They have all run Red Hat Linux or Fedora
Core 1 succesfully. Two machines blacked out the monitor and one stopped
with the moving progress bar almost at the end. I've had similar
experiences the couple of times I've tried to install Debian before but
I assumed I was just using the wrong spells!

I'd be a bit worried about giving these out at InfoPoints if I'm a
representative sample. A Win user is probably going to try Linux on an
obsolete PC first.

Woo