[Wolves] Red Hat Enterprise Server

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 18:21:56 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:

> Andy Wootton wrote:
>
>> It isn't fair to compare the resource use of Debian with RHE. The
>> comparison should be with Fedora Core.
>
> Why not?

I meant that it isn't fair to RH to say it takes up more disk space when
a whole bundle of commercial software is being counted in. RHE is Fedora
with a bit of extra QA and lots more stuff.

> you can compare Debian to any linux distro in any market and it
> compares well.

Except  for ease of installation? :-)

> It probably runs more servers than RHE and more desktops than Fedora
> and it does it all by being free.

But the stats are about software sales. As a manager of my aquaintance
likes to say, "perception IS reality". Debian is not going to be used by
my employers in the next 2 years. SUSE and Red Hat stand a chance. The
alternative is to lose all Unix and move to Windows.

Why don't you consider Fedora to be free?

> If decision makers can't learn the difference between free and free
> then they are obvously not in a position to be making business decisions.

Ah, but they are in that position and they don't care that they don't
know the difference!

Woo