[Wolves] Red Hat Enterprise Server

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Sat Nov 20 20:09:32 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Saturday 20 November 2004 19:07, sparkes wrote:
>

>>>Except  for ease of installation? :-)
>>
>>lol, I personally think the installation is one of the quickest and
>>easiest out there ;-)
>

> Not true I've tried twice and failed I still have the eight disks (Woody)
> sitting here on my shelf.

how can my opinion be not true?  and I don't think woody is that big ;-)

>>>But the stats are about software sales.
>>
>>but there is no central seller of debian software so it's impossible to
>>judge sales ;-)  It's about use.
>

> And how do you gauge the amount of users by the amount of posts for help?

no.  you look at stats.  More webservers running on commercial distros
are shared hosts running thousands of sites.  If you look at *real*
servers and you remove the spam from distro watch debian kicks Red Hats
arse

> Sparkes me old mucker, put Thomas Moore's Utopia down your starting to believe
> it :-)

I'm a 'starting to believe it'? did you mean you're ?   (the old usenet
trick of undermining the arguement with minor nittpicking ;-) )

> Since when has an application or piece of software that has been written by
> someone in their mums bedroom been more acceptable than something purchased
> from PC World?

to get a product into PC World you pursude their buyer that it will
sell.  Look at all the crap on the racks and I'll show you more products
that took man weeks to write than real software.

Probably 10% of the software there is worth the diskspace.  I bet you a
ton I can write a piece of software worthy of shelf space in PC World in
a day!  Some of those utilities and games they sell really can't have
taken more than a day to create.  If coming from PC World is a badge of
quality there really is no help for you.

> some guys mums bedroom.

don't be a twat.  Most businesses start in a garage, a bedroom or some
cheap rented space.  Dell, HP, Microsoft for example are some of the
largest names in the business.  If they didn't put out a quality product
from such surroundings there wouldn't be an IT industry.  In fact there
would be no industry at all we wouldn't have moved beyond feudalism
because nobody would buy something that came out of a cottage workshop
and we would all be working for our masters.

>  just because its free dose'nt make it
> better.

you are misunderstanding the word free again.  Read the philosophy
section at gnu.org again.  Free software can cost as much money as you
want to charge for it.  How much have you paid to Suse and Red Hat?
Wasn't most of that product free?  You can't of been paying for the box
and manual because they are just dead trees and don't get much use and I
know you got most of your support from mailing lists and forums.

> Thomas Moore! Most managers have to show they make the decisions they are not
> going to let some IT bod prove that their faith in Microsoft was misplaced
> even to the detriment of their company.

Those dam wheels will never take off.  Ropes and manpower is where it's
at.  Nobody will ever need more than 640k and I can see a world market
for 5 or 6 computers.

> At the risk of doing myself out of business I can think of at least 15 of our
> customers who are pleading poverty who would benefit from open source I have
> even mentioned one or two apps to them (Risking my job in the process) all
> have turned their nose up, why, because its free.

you charge them for it!  Read the GNU philosphy section again and sell
them the software.  All you get with MS is a box and very bad customer
service via a phone number with free software you can sell better
support and earn more money.  I thought you where a salesman.

> The only way to do it is the way some people on this list have done it get it
> installed run it for a couple of months let people see its as good as Windows
> then they will accept it but it will take longer than if you plonked 2003
> Server on their desk.

you wouldn't run 2003 server on the desk ;-)

sparkes

--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"