[Wolves] OT: Maths problem

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 21:47:00 GMT 2004

chris procter wrote:

> --- sparkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
>

>>Andy Wootton wrote:
>>

>>> <>...I'm worried that I don't even understand what the diagram
>>>
>>>represents. What are the axes of the grid?
>>>

>Think of the y axis as north/south and the x axis as
>east/west you are facing north and move off at V
>metres per second at an angle of A.
>
>In 1 second you have moved V metres. How many metres
>north of your starting point and how many metres east?

Thanks. The bit that worried me was the fact that the vector represented
velocity and a distance appeared to be required, without any period of
time being specified. I guess the assumption in the question was 1 unit
of time. I finished my mathmatical education in a physics department,
where the units are more important than the numbers. Noone expects
better than an order of magnitude accuracy but it is important  to know
what unit you are being innacurate in.

>I'm concerned about how much maths I remember since
>leaving uni in 96
>
>chris

Too much or too little?

My first job was in a college of higher education. One of the computer
science lecturers was a chemistry graduate who had gone straight into
computing. 20 years after graduating the college were considering
closing down the computing courses and asking him to teach chemistry. It
took me a few years to understand the panic I saw in his eyes that day.

Woo