[Wolves] Cheap modem

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Nov 25 20:14:43 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 17:33, Mo Awkati wrote:
>  --- Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
- - - - 8< - - - -

> > Whilst I am on the subject of modems, how can I tell
> > the difference between a winmodem and others?
> >

> Just a further thought. I did get a PCI one to work on
> one of my convert's pc. SuSE detected it as an Intel
> modem, whilst the ones I tried today were a Conexant
> chips. Is this anything to go by when choosing a
> modem??
>
> Mo

Hi Mo,

The winmodems can be thought of as a simple sound card with a telephone
interface instead of the usual mic/line/speakers interface.  As a result
they implement all the signal processing and protocol handling functions
in software (the windows driver) instead of the modem chips.  Almost all
PCI cards and many USB modems are winmodems.  The Intel/ambient chipset
is an exception to this.  The linmodem project is attempting to
duplicate the functionality of the winmodems.

As a rule, almost all external serial (not USB) modems will work with
Linux.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk