[Wolves] Feel the Ubuntu

Wayne morris wayne at machx.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 02:02:44 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Langridge" <sil at kryogenix.org>
To: "Wolverhampton Linux User Group" <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 1:25 AM
Subject: [Wolves] Feel the Ubuntu

> Well, I've finally migrated over to Ubuntu.
>
> This was in no small part because I got completely pissed off with an
> apt-get upgrade taking ages on my Debian/Knoppix install, after having
> broken twice, and so I pulled the plug. On reboot it threw a wobbler
> because there was no initrd and wouldn't boot. Not the best decision
> I've ever made, but what can I say; it's been a bad week.
>
> I have also given in completely and started using Evolution.
>
> Stone me, there are a lot of buttons. Oof. Must turn half this UI off!
>
> But it's all part of the Great Gnome Brainwash Approach where they make
> it all integrate with the rest of the world, and I like that, so I've
> caved.
>
> After getting six hundred and thirty emails in one twelve hour period,
> over six hundred of which were virus mails, I've also installed clamav
> and clamassassin on angel, my mailserver, and then used procmail on my
> machine to filter virus-detected mails into a separate folder. Hooray!
> As soon as I'm satisfied that it doesn't give false positives, I'll
> start filtering them into /dev/null on the mail server and thus save
> myself a shedload of bandwidth every day downloading mails that I'm
> going to immediately delete. Details of this process available on
> request. or possibly when I write them up somewhere on kryogenix.org.
>
> Just thought you'd like to know.
>
> Off now to work out how to do random signatures.
>
> Aq.

Put something linked to SORBS blacklist (like exim4)  on your mailserver and
forget about spam and viruses altogether.
I used to run Exim and then Popfile mail for 6 domains as it came in. Bloody
nighmare - used to take forever to filter the mail and it would get loads
wrong.
And then you had to scroll thru the 'spam bin' regularly to see if there
were genuine mail wrongly classified!
Used to get some 500 spam/virii per week minimum.
Now I get maybe 7 spam per week, and only because I allow one email address
unfettered access and the spambots hit it with a dictionary attack now and
again.
Linking to Sorbs means that the mail doesn't even get to your server, saving
bandwidth in and bandidth out as bounce emails as well.

Oh, and only two people have complained that they couldn't mail me cos they
were 'blacklisted by SORBS' in a year - there obv are more than couldn't get
hold
of me by other means to tell me - but the results make it worth it!