[Wolves] Linux and CAD type programs

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 10:32:03 GMT 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:30:13 +0000, Andy Wootton
<andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Kevan,
>
> That sounds hard. You aren't dealing with a tube but with a long, thin
> cone made of a material with varying characteristics through it's
> section and thickness along it's length. I believe the bend actually
> starts at the last point that the hand holding the rod touches but only
> becomes significant nearer the tip as the diameter narrows i.e. there is
> no such point as 'where the bend starts', so you are aiming for a
> characteristic curve. I bet expert rod makers work on heuristics based
> on centuries of craft experimentation e.g. "Take a 2-3 year old piece of
> bamboo that has grown to a length of 2m in a peat soil..."
>
> One thing might work to your advantage in your quest though; it seems
> like similar physics to sailing yacht masts! The forces there will be
> distributed along the mast rather than at the tip but I bet it has been
> researched more than fishing rods. Good luck.
>
> If you end up having to build the world's first modelling tool for
> carbon-fibre racing yacht masts, will you be GPLing it? ;-)
>
> Woo

Hi Andy.  Now there is another similarity to yacht masts then.  Modern
fishing rods are made of carbon fibre.  Different rations of carbon
and resin or boron but basically, carbon fibre.

I think what I need to do is to get a good number of measurements from
friends rods and build up a sort of database of curvatures.  Does that
make sense how I've put it?  A split cane rod is made from a specific
type of bamboo.  It ain't your common or garden, erm garden cane :-)))
 It's called Tonkin and is used because of its characteristics.  These
characteristics are fairly predictabel but obviusly there is a slight
variation.  With these measurements I can hopefully work out what I
want.  A cane rod is actually solid but comprises of six triangular
shaped sections.  The thickness can be varied along the length to
produce the desired type of curve when under pressure.

I won't go into the details anymore as I don't really want to turn
this into a fishing list ;-)))

Oh, tying back into the carbon fibre of yacht masts... did you know
that carbon fibre, that wonderful space age material also used in
Formula 1 racing cars - there's a Linux link there too - is made from
cotton?

--
Take care.
Kevan Farmer